Jim

Jim
Let the Adventure Begin

About Me

Las Vegas, NV, United States
This is my 2008 grand adventure...riding a bicycle with 35 international bikers across Europe, following the Danube River along the Orent Express route through eleven countries. The ride is 4000km over 50 days of which 39 are ride days with camping and 11 are rest days in hotels. Our tour group, TourdAfrique, provides a tour leader that provides directions and transposts our luggage, a mechanic, and a chef who promises gourmet local cuisines. We start out in Paris on June 1 and travel through France to Germany, where we pick up the Danube river. We then follow the Danube through Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Then we ride cross country through Romania, Bulgaria, and finally Turkey, where we finish in Istanbul on July 20.

May 24, 2008

May 2008 Preparation



This has been a challenging year to prepare for a cross country ride. Ideally, I would have been riding 150+ miles a week to toughen up my legs and develop callouses on my backside, in preparation for riding 500 - 600 km a week.

Sandra and I have spent about half of 2008 traveling the US, South America, and Hawaii. When at home, it seems like half the other days the weather has been unusually cold and blustery. Las Vegas had a record cold winter with 34 straight days being 10+ degrees below normal (and yes I know I get little sympathy form my Canadian and Northern colleagues). In spite of this, I have managed to get to the gym several days a week for spinning classes and have participated in four organized centuries. So, maybe I'm ready. The picture is my finish at the Solvang, California, century in March.

This promises to be a trip where one can spend a lot of time checking out the castles and sights along the route, sampling the expresso in the morning, and local beer in the evening.

It should be fun.

Below is the blog from last summer's grand adventure...riding 3500 miles from Los Angeles to Boston.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Jim:

Looks great! Aren't you suppost to have a helmet on when riding a bike? Good job on the link to the map. I was thinking that as we go though each place I would customize the flags. I also get to leave the first comment on your blog.

See you soon

Terry