Jim

Jim
Let the Adventure Begin

About Me

Las Vegas, NV, United States
This is my 2008 grand adventure...riding a bicycle with 35 international bikers across Europe, following the Danube River along the Orent Express route through eleven countries. The ride is 4000km over 50 days of which 39 are ride days with camping and 11 are rest days in hotels. Our tour group, TourdAfrique, provides a tour leader that provides directions and transposts our luggage, a mechanic, and a chef who promises gourmet local cuisines. We start out in Paris on June 1 and travel through France to Germany, where we pick up the Danube river. We then follow the Danube through Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Then we ride cross country through Romania, Bulgaria, and finally Turkey, where we finish in Istanbul on July 20.

May 15, 2007

May 15 Day 3 Indio to Blythe


Blythe, CA, the arm pit of Southern California, as the visitors affectionly call the town.

I completed century number 17...and what a tough one. Just before we got started I filled my tires and had a blowout. What an exciting way to start the morning. Pat, the mechanic from Hawaii, was there in a minute and put a new tire on. He figured the old one must have gotten pinched.

Terry and I had a dozen folks who wanted to ride with us and we all headed out of town together at 7:00 am for I-10. There are no secondary roads, so today we had to do most of the riding down the interstate.

Seven miles out of town we had to do a 10 mile climb and when I looked back there was only four of us together. What a tough climb in still 80 deg air with the sun in your face. At 20 miles I got together with the Brit, German, and nurse from Scottsdale and we were in a pace line the rest of the day. At the 50 mile point we had hot temps and a 20 mph crossing head wind to contend with, so the pace line was a life saver. The interstate felt safe, but was littered with blown out tires. I had a flat and the Brit had a flat we had to fix on the road. Everyone was tired, so the breaks were welcome. About a third of the group had flats from the steel wires in the steel belted truck tires.

Tracy, the tour director, said the only way to survive the desert heat is to continuously drink, and douse yourself with water. I for the day I drank three 60 oz camel back of Gadorade and water, and still arrived parched. Tomorrow I will have to concentrate on drinking more.

I was the sixth person to sign in at the motel, so did well. It was memorable, but the view was mostly the back of someones tire or leading and watching the road for debris.

Summary: 101 miles, 2500' climbing, 16.7 mph avg speed, 7 hours in the saddle, temps 70 - 102 deg.

3 comments:

David said...

Hi Jim! What a ride! Not only long, but your average mph is quite fast. Keep up the good work. As you kept reminding me at the Cactus Hugger--"Keep drinking; stay hydrated." Hey, I'm up to 11 flats for the year--try not to beat my record. Ride safely. I sure wish I could be riding along with you guys....Take care, David

Jill said...

Yikes! Sounds like some of the group will burn out in the beginning due to the heat/dehydration/blow outs/ etc. Keep up the good work!! We are all proud of you!
Jill

John Goodenbour said...

Jim,

I have been posting comments, but they don't seem to be getting through to your blog. They are going to my account.

Anyway I am green with envy.

John