Jim

Jim
Let the Adventure Begin

About Me

Las Vegas, NV, United States
This is my 2008 grand adventure...riding a bicycle with 35 international bikers across Europe, following the Danube River along the Orent Express route through eleven countries. The ride is 4000km over 50 days of which 39 are ride days with camping and 11 are rest days in hotels. Our tour group, TourdAfrique, provides a tour leader that provides directions and transposts our luggage, a mechanic, and a chef who promises gourmet local cuisines. We start out in Paris on June 1 and travel through France to Germany, where we pick up the Danube river. We then follow the Danube through Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Then we ride cross country through Romania, Bulgaria, and finally Turkey, where we finish in Istanbul on July 20.

May 28, 2007

May 28 Day 15 Las Vegas to Tucumcari, NM



Today was Monday, so it must be race day! This route was 110 miles through desolate grass lands and valleys of Eastern NM...the views were spectacular! Century number 20 for me! It was all county roads where we only had a vehicle passing every half hour, and no services for 76 miles.


It was a perfect sunny day with light cross winds and temps starting at 50 deg and warming to 82. Since this was billed as the second hardest ride, many of us decided to work together and knock it out. We started with 12, and by the first SAG there were 10 at the second SAG, and eight at the third. At the 67 mile point the three veteran Jim's decided we needed to race, so we had a race up a .7 mile hill called the wall. I took 4th. Then they decided we should race the next 9 miles to the SAG. I managed to take second on that, but it was not a good strategic move. When we reassembled and started riding in to Tucumcari, I bonked at the 99 mile point while climbing a hill. I must have dehydrated because my legs started cramping. The remainder of the group, being merciless, left me and I limped into town, finishing 7th. I guess there is a lesson somewhere, but it was fun. I hope I don't pay a price tomorrow.


Another news flash. At dinner, last night, I learned from one of our Iron Man women competitors, that to get the best times, one does not stop to relieve themselves. While biking, you just go in your shorts and after some minutes, they are dry. This is the kind of insights you never read in a book. So now I know what to do if I am desperate to save a minute!


Tomorrow is Dalhart, TX... 96 miles and another possible century. Hopefully the winds will be with us, but we'll sprinkle some Pacific sand at the state line to help.
Stats: 109 miles, 4500' climbing, 18.7 mph avg, 40.1 mph max, 10-20 mph cross winds, 50-82 deg temps.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can someone really pee while riding? I can not imagine that being the most comfortable thing to do, even tough your pants dry really fast....LOL....

Hollisters said...

How funny. I was just thinking to myself, what do you do when you are out in the middle of nowhere and have to go to the bathroom. You probably just don't want to be riding behind the person who is releiving themselves! You might receive a little shower. You are so incredible... 7th with leg cramps!! WOW!