Jim

Jim
Let the Adventure Begin

About Me

Las Vegas, NV, United States
This is my 2008 grand adventure...riding a bicycle with 35 international bikers across Europe, following the Danube River along the Orent Express route through eleven countries. The ride is 4000km over 50 days of which 39 are ride days with camping and 11 are rest days in hotels. Our tour group, TourdAfrique, provides a tour leader that provides directions and transposts our luggage, a mechanic, and a chef who promises gourmet local cuisines. We start out in Paris on June 1 and travel through France to Germany, where we pick up the Danube river. We then follow the Danube through Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Then we ride cross country through Romania, Bulgaria, and finally Turkey, where we finish in Istanbul on July 20.

May 17, 2007

May 17 Day 5 Wickenburg to Prescott


We finally got out of the hot desert and into the cooler mountains... in the heart of dude ranch country. This was a much more civilized day of biking, although we had co climb 6800' over 60 miles. The temps were more reasonable and the scenery through the mountains was out of a postcard. I even got to jettson my camel back to lighten the load.

I started out easy with Terry and some biking companions. It seemed like I spent most of the morning in low gear, grinding up a cliff face, going 7 mph. Half way we stopped for a coke and ice cream, and I got a big boost. Next thing I knew was I was taking on the mountain and reeling in the faster bikers. I managed to cruise by a group of three guys who had been priding themselves on being the first into the motel the past four days. Five miles out of Prescott I even ran into a rain shower. What a relief. I finished fourth overall for the day. Tomorrow is a short day, so we get an extra hour of sleep and sight see Jerome, on the way to Cottonwood.

Stats: 60 miles, 6800' climb, 12.6 avg mph, temps 70 - 86 deg.

1 comment:

Hollisters said...

What a beautiful picture!! You make us proud. Keep up the great work. NOT BAD, AT ALL, FOR AN OLD GUY!!!!