Jim

Jim
Let the Adventure Begin

About Me

Las Vegas, NV, United States
This is my 2008 grand adventure...riding a bicycle with 35 international bikers across Europe, following the Danube River along the Orent Express route through eleven countries. The ride is 4000km over 50 days of which 39 are ride days with camping and 11 are rest days in hotels. Our tour group, TourdAfrique, provides a tour leader that provides directions and transposts our luggage, a mechanic, and a chef who promises gourmet local cuisines. We start out in Paris on June 1 and travel through France to Germany, where we pick up the Danube river. We then follow the Danube through Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Then we ride cross country through Romania, Bulgaria, and finally Turkey, where we finish in Istanbul on July 20.

Jun 10, 2007

June 10 Day 26 Kriksville to Quincy, IL 2000 MILES!



















Today was different from yesterday...AWFUL! 76 miles in rain, cool temps, and head winds. What a way to spend Sunday morning. Twice I had to stop and take shelter from a heavy downpour. Several times, as I was getting road spray up my front and back and trying to recover from a head cold, I had to ask what I was doing here. About then I had my eighth flat! I just kept cranking and made it across the Mississippi. Missouri did not look nearly as picturesque today.

At the 58 mile point I bonked (ran out of energy). I had Frank come along and draft me for five miles into a truck stop diner for a Coke and hamburger. We were quite the talk of the diner from locals amazed that we would be out in the rain and wind, biking to Boston. Interestingly, this was also the truck stop Sandra and I had stopped at about four yeas ago for gas when we were traveling to Branson.

We had several accomplishments today: passed the 2000 mile mark, and had our seventh state line crossing into Illinois.

Tomorrow is a big one...107 miles to Springfield in a crossing head wind.

Stats: 76 miles, 15 mph avg, 1400' climbing, 10 -15 mph head winds, 60 deg temps and rain, flat number 8.

2 comments:

Hollisters said...

Wow! Your adventure continues. Why don't you have cushy arm rests like the ladies?? We know what to get you for Father's Day!

We are so proud of you and love you.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

These gals are all triathlets, so they use the aerobars.

Thanks