Jim

Jim
Let the Adventure Begin

About Me

Las Vegas, NV, United States
This is my 2008 grand adventure...riding a bicycle with 35 international bikers across Europe, following the Danube River along the Orent Express route through eleven countries. The ride is 4000km over 50 days of which 39 are ride days with camping and 11 are rest days in hotels. Our tour group, TourdAfrique, provides a tour leader that provides directions and transposts our luggage, a mechanic, and a chef who promises gourmet local cuisines. We start out in Paris on June 1 and travel through France to Germany, where we pick up the Danube river. We then follow the Danube through Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. Then we ride cross country through Romania, Bulgaria, and finally Turkey, where we finish in Istanbul on July 20.

Jun 26, 2007

June 26 Day 40 Little Falls to Albany, NY




Another hot, humid, and hilly day through Up State NY. Today we cruised the Mohawk River Valley, which also has the Barge Canal...quite picturesque. I had to wonder what part of the world I was in when I rode through Amsterdam and Schenectady.
We had a slight helping tail wind, so were able to make good time. I did arrived dripping wet with perspiration. Tomorrow will be a bigger test because we have to climb 5500, over the Allegheny Mountains into Vermont on another hot day. Rumor has it that tomorrow will be a race day.
The country side is starting to look like New England with rolling hills, forests, rock cliffs, and stone walls. The corn field I checked out was full of rocks up to 4" in diameter. I am sure it is tough plowing and planting here.
I'm looking forward to Sandra arriving latter from Pittsburgh.

Stats: 69 miles, 18 mph avg, 1300' climbing, 0 - 15 mph tail wind, 70 - 91 deg.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jim, I think the sun and fresh air may be getting to your head. That bike of yours isn't supposed to be in the dirt in the corn fields. they may mountain bikes for that.

quiet on the home front here. Little guys are fun and keeping us busy. I went to the doc today for some high powered alergy meds. Bady hayfever season here. All is well.

danica mowed today and the lawmower ran like a champ. I changed out the spark plug last week and found the old one both loose (I it wiggled by hand and I removed it without a socket) and total black. I think I found our culprit.

Keep rolling and finish strong!

Talk soon